CERTIFICATE OF APPRECIATION
Presented to the Better Contractors Bureau
FREE RESOURCE GUIDE AND MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORY
CALL THE BCB - 585-338-3600
The Better Contractors Bureau (BCB) is always available to help the consumer
when dealing with contractors and now during the Corona-19 Virus more than
ever! We would like to warn homeowners, especially our seniors that
whenever a crisis occurs the fly-by-night, unscrupulous, scam artist
contractors flock here from out of our area more than ever to take advantage
of those that may need emergency repairs or home improvement projects!
Now that the construction phase is open just a few things to watch out for
if approached by drive by contractors looking for work:
1.DO NOT deal with a contractor that shows up driving a vehicle with out of
state license plates!
2.Watch for scare tactics and always say you will be getting other
3.Compare prices with other contractors as the crooked ones will be out to
4.Some travel with children who are trained to ask to use your bathroom and
while you are outside talking with the father will go inside with that ruse
and will take that time to steal anything they can hide under their
clothing! Especially money, jewelry, etc.
5.Beware of roof, gutters and chimney scams and don't allow them up on your
roof as they will purposely damage them to get exorbitant prices, especially
if you actually need an emergency repair!
6.Never pay in cash and always make check payments out to a company's name
not a person!!!
If you are able to use a computer go to the BCB's website at www.The-BCB.net
and when the page opens click Member Info on the very top and when that
opens click Member Categories and simply scroll down to the contractor trade
category you need for your project or emergency! You will find BCB members
listed there who are all Registered, insured and must meet rigid Standards
of membership including swearing to a Code of Ethics!
If you feel you are being scammed or gouged try and get the contractor's
name, address, phone number and license plate number off their vehicle and
when they leave immediately call and report them to your local police
department. Watch out for any of your elderly neighbors who may live alone
and tell them if any contractors approach them to call a relative, friend or
neighbor to be there at the same time the contractor is there!
BE SAFE & WELL!
REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME A DESIGNATED "REGISTERED PROFESSIONAL"
MEMBER OF THE BCB
New Contractor Member Applicants MUST Meet All The BCB Standards Of
Membership Below To Be Given The Prestigious Designation Of "Registered
BCB STANDARDS OF MEMBERSHIP
Members must abide by the above standards of membership or
failure to do so may result in the expulsion from the BCB.
- Member contractor applicants must be either be a Corporation , DBA
- Members must submit proof of liability insurance and workmen's comp
if they have employees.
- Member's contracts must meet all the requirements under Article 36A
of the NYS Business law!
- Member applicants cannot have any unsatisfied complaints registered
with the Attorney General!
- Contractor member applicants must have been in business at least one
full year or have 5 years experiencein their specific trade.
- The company principle cannot have been convicted of any home
- Members using a P.O. Box must provide their actual address to the
- Members using a cell phone as a business number only must provide
their home phone number.
- Members must respond to all customer complaints in writing within 30
- Members must agree to mediate all customer disputes through the
BCB's in house mediation process.
- Members must agree to appear before the Ethics committee regarding
- Members must agree to abide by the BCB Code of Ethics.
- Members must agree to pay all court judgments awarded to customers.
JOIN THE BCB!
- All members must respond to any and all BCB correspondence within 5 business days!
- Any member's annual dues that are more than 90 days past due is grounds for immediate expulsion!
In addition all new member applicants are on a 1-year probationary trial
period during which time they may not use the
BCB logo in any type of permanent advertising such as the yellow Pages.